Saturday, July 14, 2007

Story of different masses

Indonesian Mass
This is the mass in my mother tongue. The first time that I went into a catholic mass was weird. I was probably around 5 years old or something like that and know nothing about what a mass is. All that I can remember is, my mom or my older siblings will always yell at me every time I looked into the back pew. :) I vaguely remember to think how weird it was to see people standing in line, just to get a piece of host. I was thinking... why would you do that? And every time my older siblings received the host, I asked, "What is it taste like?" and my brother replied, "Plain" and they went on praying. It just doesn't make any sense in the mind of a kid. But other than that, most of the time it was straight boring. :)
As time goes by, the Catholic church attracts me. Seeing the religious people and how joyful they live their life, especially my really old priest who's from Dutch. But mass is still unattractive though. Received first communion. It was more of excitement that I finally get to taste what my older siblings has been eating during that time that they went to church. It is still plain. I still don't know what it is, but it's something. Went on as an altar boy. Still don't understand much, but just go on. I love the sound of the gong during the Eucharistic prayer. That's what I missed when I went to a mass in different languages. The thing that was once bothers me is the thing when the priest said, "The Lord be with us", and we answers, "Now and forever." But it has been changed. So, that's good. :)

English Mass
What I love the most in English mass is that the language doesn't seem like it's too formal. I felt when I went to a mass in Indonesian, it just feels that the mass language is a really formal language. The other thing that I love, especially in home church, St. Paul is that the people in the congregation actually sings and the instrument players are really good. Love the guitar addition in English mass. I guess I learned a lot especially from "The Lamb Supper", a book by Scott Hahn that explains a lot about Eucharist, and that's how I appreciate the mass that we are currently having here.

Spanish Mass
I guess I felt that the Spanish mass has a different flavor in it. It has a lot to do with the music that they play I think. I appreciate the differences and how they differs from the mass in English and Indonesian.

Vietnamese Mass
I think I feel that the mass was more cheerful and the song really really has the flavor of a typical Vietnamese song. I enjoyed the fact that the they have that kind of music in contrast to the English, Spanish and Indonesian song.

Latin Mass
I've been into one recently. It's a Novus Ordo Mass, not the Tridentine Mass, which means that it's literally the translation of what we have in English. I like it. Well most of the time is because I learned Latin for one semester. The translation between one language to another can never be perfect. That's just the matter of fact and can't be really refuted. And the fact that the Latin meaning of one word that was translated into the English word, for example "Eleison" and "Miserere nobis" that has been basicly translated into just one simple English word, "Have mercy on us" just seems a little bit weird.

That's all for a thought.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

tunah, penampakan blognya baguss..sangat biru sekali humm

Tune said...

iya, saya emang suka biru e_m! :)