It's been a while since I updated this blog. But, yeah, I have been doubting a lot, and not focusing on my source of life which is Christ. But, it's the past. It's good to know where I was at, but what is more important is where I'm going to be next.
Have some thought on The Lord of The Ring by JRR Tolkien. If you guys have never read the book, you should. I mean seriously... it is such a great book!
I was reading "amazon.com" book review about Tolkien. It provides one major point: that LOTR is a really catholic book.
One thing that amazes me is the fact that Tolkien didn't realize that what he was writing is "Christian and/or Catholic", but once he review it, he realizes that. Isn't that amazing, the fact that his faith really overflow, that even though he doesn't realize it, he was in fact writing what he believes.
Some points that confirm the catholicism of his writing:
Lembas, the food that sustains Frodo and Sam until the last point to Mordor represents the Eucharist.
"Galadriel and Elbereth exemplify traits of the Virgin Mary".
In my own opinion:
What I think, is that he always mentioned the longing of the people in middle earth, about something of the past... when there is no evil of Mordor (when Sauron was not there yet). Tolkien always gives a really big emphasis on the people that was alive before the "fall" and how they are the image that we ought to look upon.
What I think, is the representation of how us as a catholic, really long for the image that we are created by the image and likeness of God. The longing, that when evil was destroyed, the joy of the Lord will always be with us. It's a reminder, that we are not evil in the first place, that we are created for good, and God wants us to be constantly choose Him over self.
How he comment that all of the Sauron's people are just a mere cheap imitation of the goodness that the company has(which is the fellowship of the ring). For example: orc is an imitation of something (I think it's an imitation of the elf), etc. It represents devil that gives imitation of things that God gave to us. For example: seeing a person as an object vs. seeing a person as a subject.
The redemptive meaning of suffering. Of Frodo, who has to strongly struggle to choose NOT to use the ring. Of how he fails, time and time again... The consequences of his choice to put the ring on his finger, and yet he still choose to stay on track. In my opinion, it represents us as a human being that is trying real hard to stay on track, but often fails.
Of Gollum. How Frodo trusts him until the last minute. And how he in a way help Frodo along the way. I think it represents how we have to believe that there is always "goodness" in every single person on earth, no matter how bad his/her attitude/action is. That, "whatsoever you do, to the least of my people, you do it to me".
And I can go on and on... The point is... LOTR is such a good book to read! Yay!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
*Tetap pada pendirian gw...* Mana si Iliad masi lama lagi...
Post a Comment