1. Suffering happens, suck it up.
The phrase, "no pain, no gain" is true. Classes that brought so much pain and suffering are the ones where I learned the most. I still remember one of the class where I had to meet up everyday. Monday-Wednesday-Friday were for lecture. Tuesday-Thursday were for labs (each of them were 4 hours). I still remember the class where I had to do ~100 problems every week for 15 weeks. What a learning experience. Not to mention the 5 weeks session that I just had. This article sums it up well, even though it's in the perspective of church authority.
2. The more I pray, the more effective I become.
This is such a paradox. I did not believe it either when Jennifer at et-tu mentioned it here. So, with a skeptical mind, I tried doing the LoTH through this website. I can't believe how much I can be more productive, that I finally bought the book version of it. It kept me well and alive during the summer lab. I can't recommend it enough. Even though I should say that I am not always doing it well all the time though, it changes my perspective and it nourishes me throughout my day.
3. Things don't satisfy me. God does.
The saying from St. Augustine holds true,
You have made us for Thyself, and our hearts are restless, until they rest in Thee
I struggled with this problem quite a bit. There were points in my life where I could buy things constantly from amazon.com and it can come literally once a week. I thought, if I had this and that it would made me happy. It didn't! But, instead of rethinking the concept that things could make me happy, I went on and kept on buying stuff. Only after a lot of banging on the head and rethinking my own self then I could realize the wise adage that St. Augustine gave. It's not that I am perfect at this subject matter, far be it from that, I am still learning and still need to reorient myself over and over that only God and not things that could satisfy my own desire.
4. Think with the end in mind.
This article sums it up real well.
5. "An unexamined life is not worth living."
That's what Socrates says ca. 2500 years ago. I cleaned up and looked back into my blog today. I just realized that I am not who I was 2 years ago. It's not that I am much holier, it's that I realized that how much I need to still learn from the "giants" all around me. It's realizing that I was then so full of myself and was being self-righteous. I didn't realize that, "Why do you notice the splinter in your brother's eye, but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own eye?" (Mat. 7:3) Hence, here comes the examination of conscience.
6. Chastity, Sobriety, Excellency
Our church held a series of lecture on these three virtues. It's taken from FOCUS foundation. Here's the snippet view of what the three virtues mean:
By chastity we mean sexual abstinence outside of marriage and purity of mind, body and heart.
By sobriety we mean refraining from using alcohol for those under age and when it is forbidden by school policy, and using alcohol with moderation when of age.
By excellence, we mean striving for personal excellence in academics and in personal and professional relationships and responsibilities.
In short, do not be complacent. For, "If you are what you should be, you will set the world on fire." (St. Catherine of Siena)
I think, most people (including myself) are really comfortable with being who they are. They do not go beyond and strive to become who they are called to be. I know that most of the time, I choose reading blogs and writing than doing my daily chores
7. And it's your turn...
What have you learned? Feel free to give comments!
1 comment:
What you said in here are so relevant, i can definitely connect with it. I havent got the chance to actually click and read all the links you have put..but just a few things.No.3 YES so true. it sort of started a few weeks ago when i was procastinating during exam time, went online, looking thru stuff on etsy.com and i just wanna buy all of them.i hold back and added them into my favourites. but i kept on feeling so bad that my 'desire' to get that sheep-bag wasnt fulfilled!kept telling myself im gonna buy it after exams finished...but i didnt :) On friday, I actually went to visit my friend's church and we were watching this video about african refugees...i was proud and thankful i hold back from buying those stuff, more stuff than i need. there's so much more to life than buying the things we like/love, things that we think would make us look better feel better... it all has to come from the inside!I'll check out no.2 haha.. sounds interesting!no.6 yes, i set my room on fire!soon it'd be my house haha... ^^
all the best, Tun!
ciao~
Post a Comment