I was reading "Return to Rome: Confessions of an Evangelical Catholic" tonight (2 more chapters!) and this line of thought that happens to be brought up by another Catholic bloggers hit me: The reason that we love conversion story is because it is the story of a unique human being. No matter how similar one story is to the other, there has got to be something unique in each person's account of their own conversion story.
It tells me that each person is created in a unique fashion by God. That God knits us in our mother's womb, that He knows us by name, that even He knows when one strand of our hairs was fallen from our own head. And as God says, "It is not you that chose me, it is I that chose you." (Bukanlah engkau yang memilihku, namun Aku yang memilihmu) How cool is that the creator of the universe knows each one of us by name.
One note:
I was able to connect to the story that Francis Beckwith told in his book in terms of how the Catholic Charismatic group showed him how does one can become a Catholic and yet still be "on fire" with God. That's how I felt too. Despite of the slippery slope in which they are treading in, the group showed me that being a Catholic means more than just going through the phase of baptism, confirmation and free fall (slipping away from catholicism). It means that we incorporate Christ and His bride (the church) into our own daily lives and let them be the source of nourishment, an oasis, in this sometime desolate life that we live in.
Alas, my next book is Anne Rice conversion story. I am looking forward to as how the famous vampire novel story teller (she wrote The Interview with the Vampire) was able to find the truth in Catholicism.
PS:
Francis Beckwith was the 58th president of the Evangelical Theological Society, a group of over 4200 scholars, teachers, pastors, students, and others dedicated to the oral exchange and written expression of theological thought and research before he ended his presidency abruptly due to him coming back to his childhood faith (Catholicism). I came to heard of him when my parish priest was talking on bringing him up to talk to our student center on his conversion story. Later, I had a chance to listen to his talk, where he shared his conversion story last year ('08) during one of our student center annual activity.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment