Friday, April 17, 2009

In search of memory

Here is my reflection for this octave of easter:

As I stood outside for the blessing of fire during the easter vigil, memories of easter vigil last year flashed in front of me. I remembered it well. It was one of those cold night in WI, everything was dark, except the fire and the warmth of the choir that sang, "within our darkness night, You kindle the fire that never dies away, never dies away" over and over again with all the Soprano, Alto, Tenor, and Bass blended into one great harmony in the a cappella setting. It captured the feeling of the disciples, who after following this guy named Jesus for 3.5 years completely, had nowhere to go. It really was their darkest night. In fact, it really is our darkest night, where we stand still, not knowing where the future will hold, except that one flicker of hope, Jesus Christ.

As I stood in the music section in the church, listening to the series of questions and answers that my priest gave to the candidate who would be joining the church. My mind came back to the memory of my baptism, in the oldest Catholic church in our diocese back home in Indonesia. A bunch of us in the tender age of 10-11, all wearing white, eagerly waiting to that big moment, when the priest would pour out the holy water and say, "I baptize you, in the name of the Father (one pour of the holy water), and of the Son (another pour of the holy water), and of the Spirit (and the last pour of the holy water)." (Saya membaptis engkau, dalam nama Bapa, dan Putera, dan Roh Kudus, Amin)

As I saw the sponsor came forward and put his hand to the shoulder of the candidate, I recall my experience in becoming a sponsor. How I was proud in seeing him, finally being baptized into the Catholic Church. How humbled I was, that if it was not because of the grace of God, I would not be able to stand in that position and becoming the sponsor of his.

As I heard that "Alleluia", sung by the priest, oh how I miss the sound of it. It was sweet to the ear to listen "Praise to You Our God" in their original language, Hebrew. The deprivation of "Alleluia" during that 40 days of lent reminded me of that eager anticipation that has been etched into each and every living creature for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ in glory.

And so, what is it with this whole rant of memory? God has given us the memory to be able to remind ourselves of the important events in our life so that at the end, the deepest of all memory shall be unearthed in our life that:

  • It is true that we were created in the image and likeness of God.
  • It is true that we fell short due to the sin of Adam.
  • It is true that Christ came to redeem us.

  • This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad, alleluia!

    No comments: