Sunday, February 06, 2011

Memento Mori

It began with a book. The first chapter of God, Country, Notre Dame by Fr. Hesburgh. There he talks about his family and how his experience with death in the immediate family. This prompted me to ponder, "what would I do if my parents were in their death bed?

I ended up dreaming about my own death. In it, I was a rouge agent who happens to be taking a class as well. Then one situation comes up when the evil corporation came to my class and captured me while we were in class. It just also happens that one of my fellow classmate is part of the evil corporation.

As I was told, I would get executed the next day. I talked to my captor and fellow classmate, "How's the HW looking? Is it tough?" We then started a conversation that ended up with me asking him a favor for getting me some snacks that I would want to eat before my execution.

As I approach my execution site (by being beheaded), the executioner asks me, "What's your last wish?"

Do you mind having the compline read for me before my execution? I heard the canticle of Simeon for the last time:

Lord, now you let your servant go in peace;
your word has been fulfilled:

my own eyes have seen the salvation
which you have prepared in the sight of every people:

a light to reveal you to the nations
and the glory of your people Israel.

and off I went to eternity.

No comments: