Retreat with IC (Indonesian Catholic) was a fun time! Even though I was a little bit worried with what next (service trip to Kansas City), I enjoyed the present moment of just hanging out with my friends and doing some crazy things together! :) To get closer with God? It's more of serving others and get to know my friends, which is another face of Christ, that I accomplished here in this retreat.
Service trip.
Working in a daycare. Read more at: www.operationbreakthrough.org
They have 600 some kids, from 6 weeks to 18 years old. Daycare is for 6 weeks to 5 years old. I worked with 5 years old most of the time with 2 other friends of mine. With babies for 2 days. Sorting out clothing donation. Got the chance to design a playroom for kids in the families that are in the program for substance abuse. And joined 2 of my friends in the 4 years old classroom.
Fast facts:
There are 600 kids in the waiting list for this daycare facilities.
It was established 35 years ago by two religious sisters (nun), and we had the chance to meet with two of them!
It is the biggest daycare facility in the state of Missouri.
One of the kids that one of my friend love, almost got killed by his mom when he was a baby.
Most parents don't pay for their kids to be in this awesome daycare facility.
The facility, is just awesome and huge! It is such a great place, has its own therapy center, has its own dental care, has its own speech pathologist (which they just hired), has its own place for immunization, and all sorts of things! It was grand. It doesn't feel like I am serving kids that are from low income family at all.
And the most shocking thing, 25 % of the kids are homeless. Can you imagine that?
My first time:
Eating at the cheesecake factory.
Read and tell the story of Goldilocks.
Dyeing easter eggs.
Being the one and only trip leader for this service trip.
It was a great time. It was an unstoppable laughter every single time we were all walking around the street of Kansas City. Moments and moments of awkward/silliness are just classic and can't never be forgotten. Each one of us open up our selves and just being vulnerable with each other with the fact that we are all one body in Christ.
Roses and thorns. It's there. My mom decided not to get baptized. That's a total down-er for me. While on the other hands, all of my friends says that they enjoyed having me as their trip leader. It really is an honor to serve my friends and being their leader in this trip. I totally enjoyed it and totally love my job.
Ok, that's it. There are lots and lots of details that is so cool about this trip that will make this trip as the best trip of my life as of now. Thanks so much friends for making it the most memorable trip ever.
Atun
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
"Roses and thorns. It's there. My mom decided not to get baptized. That's a total down-er for me. While on the other hands, all of my friends says that they enjoyed having me as their trip leader. It really is an honor to serve my friends and being their leader in this trip."
Hmm can't imagine how disappointed you maybe are. I'm sorry to hear that. I get what you mean, that it's quite an irony. But once you told me, that love is ever giving : Please pray for her. The prayer doesn't have to be for her to get baptized. I don't know her reason, but pray for her Tun.
On the lighter side : I like the background song :)
Anyway,
- glad that you enjoyed your trip. I guess it must be so very memorable, eh?
- Have you seriously not dyed an easter egg before? You missed all the fun!
It was during our last dinner time with our group that she (my mom) told me this. Yeah... love means suffering as well. I'll definitely keep her in my prayer. Thanks for the encouragement siduahuruf! :)
Glad you liked the background song!
Trips... so memorable, it'll be etched on my heart for quite a while, maybe a lifetime...
Well, I think I got the easter egg, but I have no memory of me actually dyeing an easter egg at all... so there was a moment of panicking/confused on what to do and excitement, hey, I'm learning this whole thing at that very moment! Yeah... That's the difference of being a convert and being a catholic your whole life...
Post a Comment