As he retreated his life all the way to the desert, all kinds of people are attracted to his monastic life. That is the paradox of a monastic life. When one tries to pull oneself away from the community to have that intimacy with God, it eventually draws people to join in and experience the oasis of life: a life in work and prayer.
This life of St. Anthony would later be followed by St. Benedict of Nursia. "The rule of St. Benedict" is what he is known for.
"When they live by the labor of their hands, they they are really monks." Rule of St. Benedict Ch. 48.
Ora et labora. Pray and work. That is the words coined by St. Benedict.
As I read and listened to the stories of a monastic life. I felt drawn to see and have a glance look on what does it mean to be a monk.
So, exactly, what is it that constitutes a day in the life of a monk?
Monastic Day at Mepkin Abbey
3:00 am Rise
3:20 Vigils (Office of Psalms and Readings)
4:10 Meditation & Lectio Divina
5:30 Lauds (Morning Prayer)
6:00 Breakfast
6:30 Lectio Divina
7:30 Eucharist
fifteen minutes for thanksgiving
8:15 Terce
Grand Silence ends
12:00 Sext (Midday Prayer) noon
12:10 Dinner
12:50 None (Brief Prayer)
5:00 Supper
6:00 Vespers (Evening Prayer)
6:30-7:30 Various individual and community activities
7:35 Compline (Final Prayer of the day)
Grand Silence begins
8:00 Retire
Schedule for Sundays
Same as the above, except for the following:
7:30 a.m. Terce followed by Eucharist
5:00 p.m. Vespers (Evening Prayer)
5:30 Benediction
5:45 Supper
I called last Tuesday to Mepkin Abbey, asking whether they still have space for a retreat this labor day weekend. With a slight hope and a fear of rejection, I waited on the other side of the phone to hear what the verdict is. "Yes, we do have space available. Can you come in before 4?" "Yes. And what's the cost?" After answering that question I hung up.

I was giddy! I will spend my time in a silent retreat, following the routine of a regular Trappist monk! After seeing Abbey of Gethsemani, I really wanted to go and spend my own personal time here. The story that my mentor gave to me during my early time back home in my prayer meeting came to life when I had an opportunity to pray Vespers in this gorgeous chapel. I wanted to experience more of this, longer. And now my dream will be fulfilled! I exclaimed into my heart. So here I went this past labor day weekend, to Mepkin Abbey. I spent 4 days and 3 nights there. It was an experience like no other. I'll write this in the next post.
2 comments:
Waiting your excitement... Apparently you found an activity that really interests you Tun...
@siduahuruf: thanks for the comment. It was a surreal experience!
Post a Comment