Monday, February 16, 2009

A case in point: Introduction to Christianity



It was three summers ago that I started reading a book called "Introduction to Christianity" by Pope Benedict XVI. It started with an invitation from a friend of mine to read one book together and discuss it among the two of us. Hence, he picked this book. When I started reading it, it was pretty much over the top of my head, a lot of words I could not comprehend, etc etc. So, I found the book to be very much boring. We had one discussion and for the most part, it was my friend who talked most of the time and I was just there listening. As it was expected, we canceled the whole idea altogether.

In the middle of January, a friend of mine e-mailed me a question on negative theology (that ideas in theology is very large that it can only be explained by stating what is NOT correct). Somewhere in the back of my mind, I remembered being fascinated by this whole idea of negative theology when reading this "dreadful book" called "Introduction to Christianity".

And so a thought came to my mind, "Maybe if I read it the second time, it wouldn't be so bad after all." It was still fresh in my mind, one Saturday, I sat on my recliner and just started reading through the first couple chapters of this book. What I found was not the dreadful feeling I had when I first reading it, I found fascination and awe on how clear our Pope wrote this whole book altogether.

What is wrong? The book stays the same. It was me that changed after all. As I gained more vocabulary through reading, my ability to grasp the concept of the book started to increase as well and I started enjoying the book even more.

It's pretty much the same in almost about everything. One can see that learning a new language (e.g. Latin or Chinese), new skills (e.g. riding a bicycle), and new culture (e.g. American or Middle Eastern) can be quite a challenge. But if we never try, we will never grow. And if we never grow, we will never be that person that God created us to be. And if so, we will never set the world on fire.

"If you are what you should be, you will set the world on fire."
St. Catherine of Siena

2 comments:

James Stanley said...

Hey, there!

I remember reading that book with you! I'm so glad you are going back to it and reading through it again. Just to be sure, it was "over my head" back then as well (and still is in some--okay, many!--ways). But I myself just finished it finally over winter break this year...I hadn't really picked it up since we both put it down--crazy that we both picked it up again at the same time, huh!

Keep up the awesome Christian living, man, and take care. Thanks for the comments on our blog and everything else you know you are doing! God bless!

PS- I am reading another classic Christian book right now: Weigel's "Letters to a Young Catholic", and coming up on the chapter about a parish in you current place of residence: St. Mary's Church. Can't wait; you'll be in my thoughts and prayers as always!

God bless,
James

Tune said...

Thank you for the comments... You're too humble! :) I still remember the times in MSG where you just went on talking about this idea that I can't seem to remember what that is, but was fascinated about it. What are the odds that you actually pick the book again around the same time as mine? I bet God is smiling in seeing all this.

I'll try to keep it up, it's hard to go just by myself though. Hence, thank you for your thoughtful prayers James!

I actually read it during my freshman/sophomore year, but only after a couple weeks living in this city that I realized that the church featured in that book is this same St. Mary's Church, where I met with other wonderful Catholic young adults. Even though, I am not a parishioner of this church.

Anyway, looking forward to more of your blog post. Lucy is a completely beautiful baby!