Monday, November 29, 2010

Make room for God

So today I finished my TA session early. Early in my context is defined as I left at 3:30 instead of the usual 4, when I am scheduled to be there till 3 PM. Got more than an hour before my usual daily mass at 5, so I slipped to the student center to grab a sandwich. When I looked into my watch, it was 3:55, very close to the one-hour-fast-rule before consuming the body of Christ that the Church established. As I ate my burger, I then again saw the time and it was exactly at 4 PM. I made it.

As daily mass go, the gospel today is about the centurion that says, "Lord, I am not worthy for you to enter under my roof, but just say the word and my servant will be healed." Here's the origin of word that we as Catholics say before receiving communion, "O Lord I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word, and I shall be healed."

As I thought about it, a thought came into my mind:

If we were to fast for one hour before the Eucharist, we are bodily making room for the Body of Christ literally to come into our digestive system. How about our mind? How about our soul? Do we make room for Him, for the Word of God to come into our ears as the lector and the priest proclaim the word of the Lord? Do we spiritually make room for Him who comes into our being during communion?

No comments: