Wednesday, December 19, 2012

O Radix Jesse - 2012

O Flower of Jesse’s stem, you have been raised up as a sign for all peoples; kings stand silent in your presence; the nations bow down in worship before you. Come, let nothing keep you from coming to our aid

Flower of Jesse's Stem - The Root of Jesse - Radix Jesse

O Lord, You assumed human nature and hence inherit this lineage of people who have gone before You. Past kings are in Your ancestry. Yet Rahab the prostitute, bear the honor of having You as her great-great-great grandson. Kings and prostitutes; saints and sinners; good and evil; all variables are mixed into this ultimate equation that produce the lineage of the coming messiah.

This flower of Jesse's stem showed me that both good and evil coexist: in this world, in this country, in this city, in my family, in my own humanity. Good thoughts and actions are what I strive for each day. Yet, it is a sad reality that out from my heart flow evil thoughts and actions too at times. As St. Paul says, "What I do, I do not understand. For I do not do what I want, but I do what I hate." (Romans 7:15)

But what of it Lord? Even kings stand silent in Your presence. Nations bow down in worship before you. Come Lord Jesus, fill us with your radiant love. Take and transform us this Christmas!


"For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor present things, nor future things, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38-39


No comments: